A Look Behind My Closed Door



In 2004 I was starting a new chapter in my life as a single mom with my small daughter. 
I was determined to create a fresh start for myself and my business.   

I decided to attend a weekend retreat focused on personal growth, since the last few years of challenges zapped my spirit and exhausted my energy. The retreat was awesome, and it included a follow-up session with a life coach to help me stay focused on my new growth.

I was excited for my first coaching session and had no idea what to expect. I told this coach about my current work situation where I had taken time off from my successful business painting murals to have my baby. Now I need to support myself as a single mom, so it’s time to go back into business full time again.  I had one goal and focus: To double my income in the next 6 months. 

I thought this coach would be able to give me marketing tips or practical advice about business resources I could use. Instead, the coach talked to me about going deeper into my own intuition. The coach seemed to think I had the answers inside of me, yet I was skeptical this session would be productive at all.  

I was resistant to the idea at first, but I decided to be open to the possibility of getting what I needed.  The coach explained how she would take me through a guided meditation exercise around my goal of doubling my business.

She guided me to tap into my intuition by slowing down, clearing thoughts and using deep breathing to let images or ideas come into my awareness. She had me repeat my goal of doubling her income in her mural business, and see what I needed to do.

I drew a blank for a bit, and then the first thing I saw was an image me doing paintings on an easel in my own studio. What?  I thought this was the silliest thing EVER, and that I was obviously not connecting with this inner wisdom exercise thing.  

I couldn’t imagine why doing paintings for myself was going to get clients to hire me to paint murals on their walls!!?? I scoffed at my own “intuition” and just decided to myself that I’d thank this coach for the session and carry on with my struggle to find mural clients.

The coach talked further with me about how intuition works and why it’s a powerful resource. She helped me see that I did feel clear about getting these images from my inner knowing, and that I didn’t just make them up. She challenged me to see that my intuition really was talking to me, so why not honor it? If I see myself as a creative/self-aware type, why not be brave enough to listen to my own vision?

So. . . I committed to follow through on what I saw in the meditation exercise.  I decided to make paintings related to what I experienced at the retreat.  I set a goal to complete five paintings over the next 4 weeks. 

I stuck with it, even though I doubted the whole time that it could help me on a business level.  

Painting for myself often felt like a “waste of time” or a distraction from what I SHOULD be doing. . . but I did notice an ongoing sense of somehow being on the right track. 

I decided to attend a second retreat weekend.  My paintings were done, and I thought it would be fun to bring them along to share with a few of the new friends I met there.  When I arrived at the hotel, my roommate was entertaining a few people in our room for a cocktail gathering.  I unpacked the paintings and heard one of the women exclaim, “I didn’t know you were an artist!”  She wrote a children’s book and had been looking for the right artist to illustrate her book. She was attracted to my painting style and said it seemed perfect for what she wanted.  

We scheduled a meeting to discuss the project, and eventually I signed a contract for the project that literally doubled my business income, just like I wanted. 

Needless to say, I hired that coach. 

I was on a roll changing and improving all kinds of things in my life. This lead toward my becoming certified through the coaching program connected to the retreat. I wanted to work with people in this meaningful way of going deeper to the source of what needs to change.

 I’m thrilled to be leading my business from INTUITION.  And, I am still working with my coach today!   

Here are two of those original paintings: 



And here is an illustration for the Children's Book - which won the "Mom's Choice Award" when it was published. "Maddie Moonbeam's Garden".  Check it out on Amazon! 



What would you like to double? 

Maybe you are ready to tap your intuition and make changes 
or improvements where you need them most. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dark Days to Major Blessings: Make the Most of the Holidays.

Summer Your Dreams!

What's Great about Coaching Sessions?